Friday, February 6, 2015

A Stitcher's Wardrobe: A Vest With Sleeves


One of my goals in this project was to knit a vest. I dyed four skeins of wool from my Brother-in-Law's sheep and cast on a boxy cardigan with a pocket. When the vest was done I took a long hard look at myself and my remaining wool and I said, "I don't wear vests. I already have three. I like looking at other people in vests, not me."



And so I provisionally cast on two sleeves at the bicep and knit the sleeve caps. Then I picked up the stitches in the other direction and simultaneously knit the sleeves down to the cuff, pulling from the inside and outside of my last partial cake of yarn. That way I could use every inch of yarn.

I do believe this will be written into a pattern. It looks charming on lots of body types.

My blue jeans were thrifted last summer from the GoodWill in Belfast, Maine. I overdyed them in charcoal colored dye. Overdyeing is my new jam. I'm looking at many items in my closet with a new perspective.


My Bucking Bronco belt buckle was discovered by my friend Amy at the Concord Antique Gallery. I love it for many reasons.

Over the year I made six smocks from the same pattern. They're my new jam too. The fabric was purchased at the Annual Salvation Army Fabric Sale. ding ding ding!

6 comments:

Beverly said...

Your sweaters are my new jam! Love the pockets on this one! Every garment needs pockets!

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Yes ti it all. I don't understand why the provisional cast on, and then knitting up , then down. But I'll follow it in the pattern :-)

Mary Lou said...

LOVE the vest. The pockets are so clever. Maybe overdyeing should be in my future, too.

Mary Lou said...

Test knit? Count me in.

judy said...

This is my kind of sweater. Which yarn should I use? Love in' it.

Dianne@sheepdreams said...

I really, really like this sweater and will be looking forward to a pattern for it! The pockets are a great addition. (I too like the look of a vest, but somehow they just don't work on me.)