Monday, February 9, 2015

A Stitcher's Wardrobe: Something Springy

Back in the day I used to  garment dye upwards of 50 pounds of children's clothing in a day. My bottom-of-the-line Kenmore washing machine chugged along all day, and the lint trap on the dryer was full and brightly colored.


Recently I have been enjoying garment dyeing again, breathing new life into my clothes. This dress was pale green with blue and white flowers. I dyed it with blue and green fiber reactive MX dyes. I love that the inside of the dress is now the same color as the outside.


The shawl is crocheted from Jan Marek Raczkowski's merino and silk blend (you can find him at many New England fiber events). The pin is another find by Thea. She found a boatload at a rummage sale.

I purchased these sensible boots at Tractor Supply for last year's shearing on Nash Island, one of my only new purchases of the year. They're heavy duty and taller than my old rubber boots, and yes, I do accidentally go in that deep.

I cannot stress how handy a hanky is. Carry one and you will see. Carry one for a friend, too.

5 comments:

Beverly said...

Love the whole outfit, as usual!

Jani said...

my favorite so far! perfect Island girl outfit, fun cotton dress and sensible boots.

Rose said...

I love this one too! And totally agree about the hanky; I've taken to buying vintage ones whenever I can find them!

Teri said...

I bought several vintage linen hankies. I love them but I think the static has them glued to other clothes and I can't find them.

I am close to adding two more sewing machines to my flock, a Singer featherweight and a 401a. I am hoping the thrill of new machines will get me sewing again.

cal said...

you are so inspiring. love this outfit. i am also a fan of plunking clothes into a dyepot to see what happens! keep 'em coming...