Monday, April 26, 2010

knitcroblo1

Eskimimiknits has a great idea: a week of prompts for knit blogs.  I'm giving it a whirl.


Keeping Warm with my Knit Mentor

During the energy crisis in the 1970's we installed a woodstove in our den, a Jotul. I can still recite the engraving on the front, "ed grev ned min eld, sent om kveld, nar daagen ur slut, gud gdee min eld, alder slokna ut." I have no idea what that means, and I apologize for any misspellings.

My mother took up her trusty needles and knit us all manner of winter wear, as we were new transplants from the warmer climes of Georgia. When my father bent over to stoke the stove, my mother could reach his crack with the cold tip of a 14 inch aluminum, right from her knitting spot. And she never missed that opportunity.

My older brother, a boy scout and learning the world of knots, asked my mom to teach him how to knit. Hey, cool. I joined in. There begins my journey of a lifetime of knitting.

No comments: