Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Dress + Cardigan: Installment 7



Dress no. 7 is sewn from a modified version of New Look 6871 in fabric I purchased from Marden's of Maine.  Marden's is my favorite fabric joint: The selection is huge and changes often, the prices are outstanding, and the staff is friendly and engaging. My first time there I thought maybe the girl cutting my fabric had given her notice five minutes earlier -- the "Marden's Yard" is generous.  But no, the other staff were also rolling off generous cuts, looking their customers in the eye with genuine interest in what the fabric was to become. Get there if you can.


This is my Karenyoung zippered hoodie, named after a college friend whose mother called her by her full name.  Karen was on the ski team, a wicked good sport (she participated in a keg toss with a full leg cast), and a knitter -- we used to knit in the hallway of our dormitory.






Hey, is that sweater machine knit?  Yes, my first.  And yes, I am a lover of machines -- sewing machines, printing machines, knitting machines, winding machines, automated looms, and tractors.  I am relearning how to use my Singer 360K, a gift from my folks when I turned sixteen.  A Gathering of Stitches offers classes that are on my list for 2014.

Here's wishing you health and happiness in 2014, and moments of peace filled with dreams and stitches.

6 comments:

Sonya Philip said...

Happiest of New Years to you Ellen! As a postulate of the Dress + Cardigan, I loved seeing each installment and reading the stories behind every one. May your wardrobe be cozy and colorful.

juliafc said...

lovely, as always. You have such a knack for color and pattern, I wish we could bottle it, carbonation optional. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

The dress and the cardi look great. Do you plan to offer the pattern for the cardi?

Ellen Mason said...

Dear Anonymous, since this is my first stab at a machine knit, I think I should get a little more experience before writing a pattern. Is there a market for hand knits w/a gauge of 8 st/in?

Ellen Mason said...

Thank you Sonya! There are still 5 more to come before February 2! and thank you Julia -- <3

Mary Lou said...

I have never used a knitting machine, but I am not averse to it. I just like the portability of hand knitting. Happy 2014! May it bring lots of cardis and suitable dress mates.