Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Making Bender

Years ago I ached for little undershirts to wash and fold, three dishes instead of two to put away.  I am careful to never wish away today’s dirty dishes and piles of laundry:  I know I am lucky to have them.  But in the words of a comedian whose name I have forgotten, “My wife was in labor for 36 hours.   I don’t even want to something I like for 36 hours.”


Searsport Shores campground is my home for a whole week, all by myself.  My sewing machines came along, and I have the use of Astrig’s roomy and well-appointed studio.  I am teaching campers how to sew and dye and how to make pom poms, and all my other responsibilities are three hours away.





I am eating granola out of the bag, fresh cherries as I dance around the studio (music all day long), and leftover Pad Thai from the take home container.  (I did have to wash the fork.)

Monday's dress

My suitcase was packed light, just a few items of clothing.  My fabric box was packed heavy.  Each day I dress the mannequin in front of the studio with a freshly made clothing item, and then I wear that piece the next day.  That’s the plan anyway, and it is working so far. 

Tuesday's tunic
I hope you’re enjoying your week as well.

10 comments:

Jani said...

Yay,Ellen!!! A well deserved rich reward for years of karma stacking! Enjoy!

Ann Trainor Domingue said...

Hi El. You are such a breath of fresh air in my day today. Love your writing style and of course love you as yourself--always so fun and unique. What a great opportunity for you to do this fiber camp thing--I'm jealous. Do they let painters in too? Have a great week. Annie

Unknown said...

What a treat! I hope you will be at Fiber College in the fall. I so enjoyed dyeing yarn with you last year.

amylbower said...

Maggie had an amazing time with you!!!!

Robin Christy said...

My daughter Madisyn had such a great time making puff balls shes in the picture with Maggie. She said each day mom going down to the art studio.. It was a awesome time.. Thank you for showing her various things.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

This is SO GREAT!!! Can't wait to hear and see more.

Angelika said...

Alex, Jen, Bella (the dog), and I really loved hanging out with you at the campground :-)
I'm just writing up my blog post about it all - check Playground Hunt in a day or so

Susie - secondhandsusie.blogspot.com said...

Hello :) I wonder if you could please tell me what pattern you used for the scarf in the photo for Monday's dress...I really love it. I am going to try to learn to knit this year and would love to make something similar. Your blog is lovely :)

Thanks, Susie xx

Ellen Mason said...

Hi Susie, thanks! The scarf is improvised: I worked short rows back and forth to create a crescent shape and then added a ruffle at the outside edge with yarn-overs. It is made from recycled silk yarn and feels amazing. Maybe I should write a pattern?

Susie - secondhandsusie.blogspot.com said...

If you did write a pattern I would definitely buy it, I don't think I'm clever enough at knitting yet to improvise something so pretty!