Friday, March 15, 2013

Dress + Cardigan: Installment 3


It seems smock lovers are coming out of hiding these days, confessing their adoration for the smock's simple and timeless styling, its versatility and charm.  And let's face it, a smock is some-kind-of wearable.


Dress no.3 was cut from an inexpensive quilter's cotton using New Look 6871.  I lengthened the body, omitted the notch in the yoke, and added a little more fullness at the gathers.  I also chose to narrow the sleeves and finish them with a fixed band instead of elastic.

My Joan Fuller cardigan is complete, and the pattern will go out for a quick testing next week.  At 16 stitches per inch, this sweater knits up swiftly!





I do believe I am getting closer to the stuff I can wear on an everyday basis - to the post office, the grocery, out to school functions.  This outfit will be completed with a vintage pin, a scarf, cheerful socks and a new pair of Lime Lites (the carrot at the end of my yardstick).

Why Lime Lites?  New England Footwear, the company that makes them, is local to me and special to me. Their mission is to bring shoe manufacture back to New England as soon as humanly possible. Also, the technology of the shoe is very thoughtful.  The grippy teeth on the sole are soft; they absorb the bumps in terrain so one's feet don't have to.



5 comments:

Emily B. said...

It seems to me that if we are going to share a wardrobe then this smock is definitely on that list! :)

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Ok, you are now my official personal stylist. I want every single piece of this outfit--I would wear it all the time. Love that you shared the shoes, too. Pinning you. AGAIN!

craftivore said...

Joan Fuller is one hot mama! Love the color and the texture. Mmm, mmm. I have some yarn I want to dye, any chance you want to have a dyeing party?

I'm gonna tell Mom! said...

You are inspiring me!
~kim

Undiscovered Angus said...

I'm a member of the smock love club too. And of blue/orange colour combos. What pizazz!